Miles Today: 31 SM; Total Miles: 2,446 SM
Locks Today: 0; Total Locks: 80
At 7:00 a.m. we untied the lines at Big Sound Marina and headed across the large and deep Parry Sound. At times we saw 350 feet in Parry Sound. It was windy and there was a light chop on the water. As we made way to Carlin Rock the waves increased to 2 footers with occasional 3’s. At Carling Rock we rejoined the Small Craft Channel.
We traveled the Shebeshekong Channel and passed the pretty Snug Harbor lighthouse.
Our destination for today was an anchorage at Hopewell Bay. We arrived about 11:00 a.m. and Gina was the bow watch to look out for submerged rocks. We first turned into a small cove off Nadeau Island. We dropped anchor but decided there wasn’t enough room to swing without worrying about hitting a rock, so we hauled in the anchor and tried the next cove.
The next cove was longer and wider and a little deeper. We would have plenty of swing room but it wasn’t as protected. We decided to drop the hook in about 18 feet of water as we were not expecting any storms overnight.
The surrounding area was very pretty with a few cottages (some pretty large) on the islands. The rock formations were beautiful and the water clear. While sitting on the bridge enjoying the view, we spotted a black bear on the nearby rocks. I couldn’t get my camera on quick enough to get a pic. Oh well, maybe next time.
Part of the afternoon was spent charting. We decided to try some different anchorages, which meant studying the charts to figure out how to get in and out safely. We also checked on the weather which is a big challenge here in Canada. The Canadian VHF weather leaves a lot to be desired. So we depend on the internet and our precious 100 mg (for $25) through Verizon to check the weather. Our Verizon phone and internet is roaming through the Canadian Rogers Bell and surprisingly we’ve had very good signal strength so far. We’ve been amazed at the cell towers all over the Georgian Bay perched on islands. We have the owners of all these cottages on islands throughout Georgian Bay to thank for the good coverage.
The weather forecast changes daily but we are looking at 15 knot winds, going to 20 knots for the weekend. We will try to get to Kilarney, the beginning of the North Channel by Friday, July 4th, in advance of the forecasted 20 kt winds. Some of our trip between here and there will take us out into the Georgian Bay and some sections will be more inside but totally exposed to the wind and waves.
After dinner we sat on the bridge enjoying the quiet and serenity of this beautiful place. It was early to bed for us as we would have an early morning going outside in Georgian Bay.